Sunday, February 24, 2013

EagleLeaf's 2013 Oscar Picks - The Challenge [WON!]



They're finally here. They've landed. These damn Oscars are at it again, ruling the entire world for one single night to ecstasy and no one can or want to stop them. Since the night is still young and I'm pretty confident with at least some of my picks, I'll share them with you now and then we will see how wrong I was because I can't turn back later. Without further things to say, here are my personal picks for the 2013 Oscars with annotations.

OSCARS 2013


Best Picture – Argo
Leading Actor / Actress – Daniel Day-Lewis / Jennifer Lawrence
Supporting Actor / Actress – Christoph Waltz / Anne Hathaway (Amy Adams seems possible too)
Animated Feature Film – Wreck-it Ralph
Cinematography – Lincoln
Costume Design – Lincoln (don’t know yet but might as well be Les Miserables)
Directing – Lincoln (close call between Lincoln and Life of Pi)
Documentary Feature – The Gatekeepers
Documentary Short – Mondays at Racine (Kings Point in my opinion though)

Film Editing – Argo
Foreign Language Film – Amour
Makeup and Hairstyling – Les Misérables
Music (Original Score) – Skyfall
Music (Original Song) - Skyfall
Production Design – The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (should be a close call between Hobbit and Lincoln)
Short Film Animated – Paperman
Short Film Live Action – Buzkashi Boys (or Curfew that is)
Sound Editing – Life of Pi
Sound Mixing – Les Misérables
Visual Effects – The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Writing (Adapted Screenplay) – Argo (defeating Silver Linings Playbook by mere luck)
Writing (Original Screenplay) – Zero Dark Thirty
 


Let's see what I got right and how many not (if it ain't 100% false, it's a win for me). ;)


Greets, EagleLeaf. 


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE (02/25): The big night is over, folks, and it was a very good one as Seth Macfarlane did a damn good job hosting so dark-humored. The night also had quite a lot surprises in store, not only for me, but for many outside the US as "Zero Dark Thirty" did NOT get the wrong advantage of its portrayal of the hunt for Bin Laden, it got no(!) special treatment which at least I did think it would. That was a good change for once. Other than that, I can't say I agree with every decision made (especially in Documentary Short as that seems just wrong, but might just be me) but with most of them. After the hour-long broadcast of the big Oscars, "Lincoln" is the biggest looser of the evening by default and Ben Affleck scored again.
Which brings me to the ONE change I made in the list above: I did indeed change my mind in the "Best Picture" category, namely from "ZDT" to "Argo". Yes, I know, Argo won (obviously) but that is not why I changed it, I would be nothing more than a cheat then. I even changed it before the category was even named as its final decision of the night on my own personal sheet but I didn't come around to also change it here. I'm sorry for that but it's simply true.
Also, it doesn't do much for the overall statistics, so what the hell, right?
(On that side-note, I did also change from "Hobbit" to "Life of Pi" for Visual Effects but I did that just seconds before they announced the winner, so I'm not counting that one for me. Just a little bit.)




Now for my score above:

GUESSED RIGHT KNOWN - 12
CLOSE CALL (but wrong side) - 3
WRONG - 9




How that can be added for percentage: Close Calls count 50%, so +1,5 to the "Knowns" + 0,5 for both ethical and mathematical reasons (ethical: I did change to the winner before the announcement, read above / mathematical: 13,5 becomes 14).

Therefore I did right: 14/24. Which is MORE than 50%, yeah. Actually it's 58,33% which is a good enough 60 (SIXTY) percent "rightness". Pretty fond of myself right now as you might have guessed as I did a pretty solid job for my first time officially guessing something. CHALLENGE WON! (The goal set by MarXus here was 50%.)





And before you ask, yes, MarXus did a bit of guessing as well and he didn't even get 7 right, just sayin'. ;)
(I won, take that. xD )

Now, pad yourself on the shoulder for staying up or if you're lucky with your timezone (which I really wasn't as I didn't get any sleep thanks to that show now) for, well, watching and tell me, how many more/less had you right and what was your favourite moment during the show? (Mine was, I admit, not Jennifer Lawrence's little falling but the live performance of the cast of "Les Misérables" on stage which was awesome I thought, even more than the movie itself which wasn't that bad either.)



So, hope you had fun, I'm feeling pretty cool now and that means, I'll just say this: the next review will be up very soon and it will involve a movie that won an Oscar tonight even though I won't tell you which one.


Greets,

EagleLeaf. 






2 comments:

  1. I'm shocked to see my colleague lying to our five to eight regular readers, claiming I would have participated in his crooked guessing game.

    In fact I didn't even know the Academy Awards would be given out tonight, mainly because I think they are meaningless trophies awarded by people without any clue about what a movie should be like... and because I was busy playing through the Half-Life series, which I will soon post a review on (shameless self promotion).

    By the way, I haven't seen a single winning movie yet, except for Skyfail, and you don't want to hear my opinion on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that was to be expected, not accepting your clear loss by declining you even took part in it. And if it's any consolation, I didn't know the Oscars were that very night as well, just came across them by mere chance, should seriously do some more advertising next time around.
      But fact is, I won. The challenge is won. And you lost. Point made.

      Delete